A Mauling at the Mall...


A few weeks ago, I took the kids to the mall with my friend Mandy. Kaya had just fallen asleep in the stroller when out of nowhere a little girl ran out of a store and attacked. At first I thought she was just going to run by but then she stopped and then a split second later she was slapping Kaya on the face (Smack, Smack,Smack, and Smack!) I mean really smacking. Probably four or five times. You could hear it. One quick smack after another. Before we could react, she ran off (she was there smacking Kaya one second and gone the next.) Kaya was okay. I soothed Kaya back to sleep and she only had a little red spot on her forehead . She didn't even have time to react. She stirred and started to whimper during the attack but quickly fell back to sleep after.

Babies are resilient. I was probably more traumatized then her. It was so strange; the parents didn’t even say anything. They weren’t concerned about Kaya. They smirked at us, shrugged and then ran after the little girl. The little girl must have been four or five years old. It was clear that the little girl was out of control and possibly had some other problems.
I was in disbelief. They could have at least said a quick sorry. It happened so fast. I didn’t say anything, I just stood there in shock trying to see if Kaya was okay.

It seemed like the twilight zone… It seemed intentional and malicious. You don’t see kids hitting other kids unprovoked, let alone a baby. Usually kids hit when someone steals their toy, if someone is being mean to them or in retaliation. I’m still not sure if it even happened. Kaya’s fine but it still haunts me. I wish I had but the stroller’s sun visor up. The other day I found myself flinching when a little boy was looking a Kaya in her stroller.

4 comments:

Andrea M. said...

Weird! I would be so embarrassed if my child did that! I can't believe it! I'm glad Kaya is ok though!

Kirsten Treff said...

yikes, that's terrible. And that the parents didn't even say sorry?! I'm glad she's ok...

Anonymous said...

That is terrible. I would have sent my friend after that little girl and shook her and let her know she can't do that. But then, (nowdays) there probably would have been a lawsuit.

On a lighter note, that is the cutest picture of Kaya!

Robyn DeGaetano said...

I found you through Christine Bondi's blog, and wow, what a freakish experience! Something similar happened to my younger daughter Josephine when she was only a few weeks old. It was a little boy from our ward, and yeah, he slapped her right in the face, and had this crazy, angry look on his face - weird! I was so mad, but I was friends with his mom, so I couldn't really freak out on her or anything (and she did scold him, well, sort of...). I just picked Josephine up quickly and kept her away from him from then on!